Recreational Vehicle Permit

The City has an updated Recreational Motor Vehicle ordinance. The changes include more opportunities to use recreational vehicles as well as a new permitting system for Class 1 ATVs, Class 2 ATVs, and golf carts. The new permits cost $25 and last for three years. Applications for permitting will be available at City Hall; please bring proof of your driver's license and insurance, and your DNR registration number. Upon registration, residents get a sticker to display on their recreational vehicles.

Once permitted, Class 1 All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) and golf-carts will be allowed to operate on designated city streets. Approved streets are those classified as local, are under Monticello’s jurisdiction, and have a speed limit of 30 mph or less. Carts and Class 1 ATVs are not permitted to travel down County, State, or roads built with State-Aid funds. The City of Monticello Class 1 ATV/Golf Cart Street Map showing approved areas will be available at City Hall as well as on the City’s website. Class 2 ATVs (UTVs) will continue to be allowed to operate per state statute.

Permits are required for golf carts and All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) both Class 1 and Class 2.