Arbor Day Poster Contest
Kids ages 4-18 are invited to participate in Monticello's first ever Arbor Day Poster Contest! Why a poster contest? Trees are the dominant feature in our community and can be found in so many parts of our daily lives. They exist in our parks, schoolyards, backyards, and along our roads. In March 2022, City Staff discovered Emerald Ash Borer in Monticello. As part of our public education campaign, the City of Monticello is hosting an Arbor Day Tree Giveaway event and a Poster Contest! The winning posters will be displayed in the Monticello Community Center as part of the campaign.
What is EAB?
Emerald ash borer (EAB) is a non-native (invasive) insect from Asia that kills ash trees. Trees become infested when adult beetles lay eggs on the bark. The eggs hatch into larvae that bore into the tree, eventually killing it; unless the tree is treated. Our goal is to educate residents about EAB, including how to properly identify a diseased tree, how to safely remove infected trees, and treatment options. For more EAB information, click here.
Arbor Day Youth Poster Contest Rules & Guidelines
Entries not meeting these guidelines may be disqualified
1. All entries must be original artwork created by an individual student enrolled in private or public area schools. A student may enter the contest only once. There will be five winners whose work will be displayed, one from each age group:
- Ages 4-6
- Ages 7-9
- Ages 10-12
- Ages 13-15
- Ages 16-18
2. The student’s first name and last initial must be written in the lower right-hand corner on the front of the poster. Do not include the last name on the front of the poster. Entry forms must be placed on the back of the poster.
3. CONTENT: The poster must be related to the contest theme in some way. The 2022 theme is, “Save the Trees!” or “Tree Preservation.” All words must be spelled correctly and be written clearly.
4. ENTRY MEDIA a) Entries must be scannable. Any 2D medium is acceptable, for example: marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, color collage; b) Entries should not display the names of commercial products, companies, or organizations.
5. SIZE: Entries must be no smaller than 4 x 6” and no larger than 11 x 17.” Over-sized or under-sized submissions will not be accepted.
6. PAPER: Entries must be done on paper that will allow for duplication/scanning, display, and framing.
7. Entries should not be matted, mounted, laminated, framed, or folded.
8. All posters must be delivered/submitted by May 14, 2022, submissions can be brought to Monticello’s City Hall or the Community Center’s Guest Services desk, 505 Walnut Street, Monticello, MN. Contest winners will be announced at the Monticello Farmers Market on Thursday, May 19, 2022.
Ownership of Artwork
Ownership of the artwork submitted for the contest will remain with the artist. However, the City of Monticello reserves the right to reproduce and publish any and all artwork submitted for this contest, and publish the artist’s first name, and age for promotional and marketing use.
Posters may be picked up following the announcement of the contest results at the Monticello Community Center, City Hall, or the Monticello Farmers Market on May 19, except for the winning entries, which will be kept for a period of time on display in the Community Center as part of the Emerald Ash Borer Community Education Campaign, and then will be returned to the entrants.